Re: CDB/PDB and Listener setup?

From: Woody McKay <woody.mckay_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 13:36:22 -0500

Thanks Hans.

All connections would be via JDBC from applications. Ok, one or more listeners as needed and jdbc thin with host:port/service. Each PDB defaults with a service of the same name/domain.

Should be easy enough. Hosting prefers one listener per customer so that a needed bounce only impacts that one customer.

Thanks...

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> When you add a PDB to a container instance, the PDB's service is
> automatically registered based on the pdb name and the domain. You can
> optionally add one or more services that direct to the PDB if needed, for
> example, for resource management.
>
> The big question is "How do you connect to the environment?"
>
> - if you use TNSNAMES.ORA ('_at_tnsentry'), then you pretty much want to
> manage te TNSNAMES.ORA manually. The service is not automatically added;
> This needs to be managed at each TNSNAMES.ORA location. Consider
> centralizing using LDAP ...
>
> - if you use "CONNECT to root and 'alter session set container={pdb}" then
> you might simply ignore tnsnames.ora all together.
>
> - similarly, if you use EZConnect or JDBC:thin ("_at_//host:port/service")
> then ignire TNSNAMES.ora
>
> - I've noticed a lot of people still try ("_at_//host:port:sid") which
> obviously does not work (a PDB is NOT an instance) unless you monkey with
> the service==sid setting. While possible, it becomes one more workaround
> thing to manage, so I'd avoid it and prefer to use the correct .../service
> syntax.
>
> As for listener, I'd use one listener properly configured, unless
> multiples are absolutly required due to load or setting differences.
>
> /Hans
> The above being my opinion, and not an official statement by my employer.
>
> On 2017-01-26 11:01 AM, Woody McKay wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is anyone using multi-tenant in production or about to? What have you
>> found to be the best listener setup?
>>
>> I'm doing R&D using many PDB's with one per customer district. Each PDB
>> would have its own service, but I'm not exactly sure on how listener.ora
>> and/or tnsnames.ora entries should look like. Each PDB would have the same
>> schema, but unique with customer data. The connection schema name would be
>> the same in each PDB.
>>
>> I've not found much documentation discussing this...

Sincerely,

WoodyMcKay