RE: Identifying free space in a block

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 10:07:00 -0500

Let's see. hmm. You could add up the vsize() of each not null column in the table that occupies that block and see if it is even plausible pretending itls have not been expanded. So block_size - minimum header size - sum(vsize(col1)+vsize(col2)+...+(vsize(coln))) where rowid in that block.

Then you could look at the block dump and get up one of the block decoder pages to see if you can calculate expansion of ilts.

This is just academic right? (You can't actually test shoving another row in there unless it is next up on the free list.)

mwf