Re: Amazon AWS and Oracle

From: Robert Freeman <rfreeman_at_businessolver.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 02:32:05 +0000

Great feedback all... Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Robert G. Freeman
DBA, Troublemaker, Malcontent
Businessolver

On Jan 19, 2017, at 6:38 PM, Jeremiah Cetlin Wilton <jcwilton93_at_earlham.edu<mailto:jcwilton93_at_earlham.edu>> wrote:

To be clear, that document does not explicitly declare nonsupport, and is a response to an old tutorial other than the Flashgrid solution that has been mentioned int his thread.

Regardless of Oracle's support stance, I'd love to hear what people think about the Flashgrid approach.

https://www.flashgrid.io/wp-content/sideuploads/resources/FlashGrid_OracleRAC_on_AWS.pdf

Thanks

Jeremiah

From: "Thomas Roach" <troach_at_gmail.com<mailto:troach_at_gmail.com>> To: correo_at_fjandrade.com<mailto:correo_at_fjandrade.com> Cc: "rfreeman" <rfreeman_at_businessolver.com<mailto:rfreeman_at_businessolver.com>>, "Oracle Mailing List" <Oracle-L_at_freelists.org<mailto:Oracle-L_at_freelists.org>> Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:50:19 PM Subject: Re: Amazon AWS and Oracle

Oracle states it's not supported.

See page 4 here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/options/clustering/overview/rac-cloud-support-2843861.pdf

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 19, 2017, at 5:53 PM, Fernando Andrade <correo_at_fjandrade.com<mailto:correo_at_fjandrade.com>> wrote:

Hi Robert

I think a clean Oracle RAC installation using C2 machines on AWS is not possible since the lack of support for transparent floating IPs on the AWS side. The only way for a floating IP to work on AWS is via they API. Maybe if some integration from the Oracle Clusterware side to use AWS API is done it can?t work ( who knows). I guess you will face some problems with the private interconnect also, I?m not sure that UDP and broadcast is supported on the virtual LANs. You can install RAC on a big virtual machine container but I don?t figure out what is this be useful for other purposes than training or testing.

FJA On 1/19/17, 5:22 PM, "Robert Freeman" <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of rfreeman_at_businessolver.com<mailto:rfreeman_at_businessolver.com>> wrote:

   Anyone on list have any experience with Amazon AWS and Oracle implementations and RAC? I am talking AWS here, not RDS.

   I am curious about your experiences, implementation issues, gottyas, etc...

   Thanks!!

   Rf--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jan 20 2017 - 03:32:05 CET

Original text of this message