RE: OT: Job Posts

From: Dimensional DBA <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 20:30:22 -0800

The website has on their calculations page how the numbers are derived.

http://db-engines.com/en/ranking_definition

It is not farfetched following this methodology that the numbers would be as they are.

The site never claimed the numbers are anything but what they represent based on their methodology.

I think everyone puts too much hype into what is the best thing, based on opinions, instead of recognizing all of these database engines will be around for a while.

It is best to learn as many as you can to help your organization achieve its goals, instead of worrying about what direction you think things will go and what you need on your resume.

People have been claiming at each and every juncture of something new and different that the old thing will die a horrible death. However, most of those old things are still around.

Matthew Parker

Chief Technologist

Dimensional DBA

425-891-7934 (cell)

D&B 047931344

CAGE 7J5S7 Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net

 <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-parker/6/51b/944/> View Matthew Parker's profile on LinkedIn

www.dimensionaldba.com <http://www.dimensionaldba.com/>

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Saturday, January 7, 2017 8:23 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: OT: Job Posts

That is about as credible as MSNBC or CNN, when touting Hillary's victory on the presidential elections. I saw Rachel Maddow saying that the victory for democrats is practically a sure thing. This ranking is slightly less credible than that. Ranking which shows that Postgres is more popular than DB2 is extremely suspect, at least to me. I have attended both Postgres users meeting and DB2 users meeting and I know what I saw. I have a bad habit of trusting my own eyes more than articles on the internet. And since I studied mathematics a long time ago (graduated in 1984), I happened to have had a course in statistics. The teacher showed us how to abuse statistics, without ever telling a lie. It is as simple as selecting a non-representative sample. If you poll mostly students, which are very much inclined to lean to dems, your poll will show a clear victory for Hillary. And this "ranking" doesn't describe either methodology or the sampling process in detail. I have never trusted statistics very much and I trust it even less now after this phenomenal flop with the election polls. The story of the election polls would deserve a long article, but not on this list and not by me. Now, let's make Oracle great again. And IBM will pay for that!

On 01/07/2017 03:41 PM, Glauber, Leo wrote:

Check out the rankings - http://db-engines.com/en/ranking

Regards,

Leo

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Monday, January 02, 2017 2:40 PM
To: kathy duret; Oracle-L Freelists

On 12/28/2016 11:48 AM, kathy duret wrote:

Good Oracle DBA jobs are very hard to find where they just want an Oracle DBA.

Most posts just say SQL and list a number of platforms.

Most postings are for jobs converting Oracle to Sql Server whereas 10 years ago it was the opposite.

Sic transit gloria mundi. I wish you a happy New Year. BTW, there is also good work to be found with converting Oracle to SAP Hana. SAP Hana is very new, SAP has just released the version 2, and finding good people is hard.

--

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

This e-mail, attachments included, is confidential. It is intended solely for the addressees. If you are not an intended recipient, any use, copy or diffusion, even partial of this message is prohibited. Please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Since the integrity of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet, SODEXO cannot therefore be considered liable for its content.

Ce message, pieces jointes incluses, est confidentiel. Il est etabli a l'attention exclusive de ses destinataires. Si vous n'etes pas un destinataire, toute utilisation, copie ou diffusion, meme partielle de ce message est interdite. Merci de le detruire et d'en avertir immediatement l'expediteur. L'integrite de ce message ne pouvant etre garantie sur Internet, SODEXO ne peut etre tenu responsable de son contenu.

--

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA