Re: no AUTOBACKUP found or specified handle is not a valid copy or piece when restoring controlfile in aws

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hpe.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 13:50:20 +0000

Vadim, to add to what Norman stated, check out the following support document :

Doc ID 403883.1 How To Restore Controlfile From A Backupset Without A Catalog Or Autobackup

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk> Sent: Friday, January 6, 2017 4:22:36 AM To: vkeylis2009_at_gmail.com; Oracle-l
Subject: Re: no AUTOBACKUP found or specified handle is not a valid copy or piece when restoring controlfile in aws

Morning Vadim,

I might be wrong, but if you are restoring a control file, not from autobackup, then you have to specify and restore to a different location from where the control files normally live.

If you are restoring from an autobackup, then you don't need to specify an output location.

There is details in the rman manual about this, but I'm not near one at the moment, but it takes a few reads to figure out what the manual is saying! Or it might just be my old brain! :-)

Hopefully, I've remembered correctly.

Cheers,
Norm.

On 6 January 2017 04:15:30 GMT+00:00, Vadim Keylis <vkeylis2009_at_gmail.com> wrote: Good evening experts.

Happy New Year.

I tasked with backing one of the databases in our data center and restoring in aws ec2.

I ran the script bellow to backup one of our development databases:

run {

        CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP OFF; CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '/mnt/db_transfer/DETL/rman_backup_aws/%F'; CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO '/mnt/db_transfer/DETL/rman_backup_aws/snapcf_DETL.f';

        ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch1 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/mnt/db_transfer/DETL/rman_backup_aws/db_%d_df_t%t_s%s_p%p_level0';
        CROSSCHECK archivelog all;
        backup incremental level 0 database include current controlfile plus archivelog;
       }

Once the database was backed up I copied files into aws instance.

[oracle_at_ip-xxx-xx-x-xxx DETL]$ rman target /

Recovery Manager: Release 12.1.0.2.0 - Production on Thu Jan 5 20:00:57 2017

Copyright (c) 1982, 2014, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

connected to target database: DETL (not mounted)

RMAN> restore controlfile from '/home/oracle/detl_bakup/db_DETL_df_t932500463_s39248_p1_level0';

Starting restore at 05-JAN-17
using target database control file instead of recovery catalog allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: SID=387 device type=DISK

RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 01/05/2017 20:01:30 RMAN-06172: no AUTOBACKUP found or specified handle is not a valid copy or piece

RMAN> I am getting RMAN-06172 any suggestings?

Thanks so much in advance,
Vadim

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jan 06 2017 - 14:50:20 CET

Original text of this message