Re: Postgres

From: <oracle_at_1001111.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 08:33:20 -0700

On 16-12-19 11:05 PM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:
> For all intents and purposes,
> Postgres is a toy.

Well, since I haved saved 3 clients over $250000 in 5 years by moving from Oracle to Postgres it is an exceptionally high quality toy!

Postgres is better than Oracle in the SMB market. Much better. The only disadvantage is that I spend about 20% more time monitoring, se tuning and maintaining the Postgres databases. Roughly $200-300/month extra from the client perspective. Licence cost=0

Even using EnterpriseDB saves an immense amount of money in the SMB market.

I would not recommend Postgres for large (> 2TB) databases or for large corporations.

YMMV
Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited