Re: Oracle DBA to PostGreSQL DBA?

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 12:47:07 -0600

Tim - thanks for the insightful description of the variety of cloud choices. From what I'm seeing, most companies are adopting an SaaS-first attitude, with PaaS where no commercial programs fit the requirement, and IaaS primarily for migrating existing in-house applications.

If you have a career in IT, you have to adapt to the future. There isn't a strong future for COBOL programmers except maintaining, migrating. When I plunged into learning Oracle it was certainly because it had a rising future.

Perhaps someone can speak to whether an Oracle DBA can adapt to the cloud future.

Otherwise I keep hearing about demand for business analysts and project managers -- close to the customer is harder to be replaced globally.

Dennis Williams