RE: is it possible to use external tables in an oracle cloud database ?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 09:58:04 -0500

+42 to our friend Jeff Smith for pointing this (near term) limitation out clearly. Without realizing that detail of contract and offering it would be natural to think you could use directories. And as well to his advice that if you're going to dip your toe into cloud service (or plan to take the plunge!) :

"Define your requirements, then we can help you pick the better/best Cloud offering."

It seems to me that what I've heard about sales compensation for the near future means they are aligned with customer needs the best they have been in decades with it being good for them to get you the features you need and omit any extra cost features you don't so they can attempt to turn your trials into sales in an extraordinarily competitive environment: timesharing.

Er, I mean cloud. Really, it is called cloud now.

mwf