Use RMAN to backup the FRA?

From: William Beldman <wbeldma_at_uwo.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 23:13:01 +0000

I've currently setup the Oracle-Suggested Backup job in OEM 12c to backup my database to the fast recovery area.

My ultimate goal is to run backups to the FRA and sweep those backups off to NFS for longer-term storage and for DR protection. I'd also like to stay as vanilla as possible to arrange this.

I see that since 11g, rman now supports backing up the FRA to disk: http://gavinsoorma.com/2012/08/rman-11g-new-feature-backup-fast-recovery-area-fra-to-disk/

My question is is it possible to modify the canned rman script provided by OEM such that after the backup to FRA, I can tack on a line like: backup recovery area to destination '/nfs-backups/';

If not, how can I best arrange a second pass after the backup to FRA through OEM to do this? If I run a backup of the FRA, how can I manage retention on the NFS side?