RE: jumbo frames with non rac

From: Dimensional DBA <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 12:10:00 -0800

As Alfredo mentions you normally don’t use jumbo frames on the public facing networks as none of the clients normally have jumbo frames setup. This could be different if you were using say citrix desktops and ewveryone used those to access their applications then what you want may work.

I have also used jumbo frames on storage networks to netapps or other network storage.

Matthew Parker

Chief Technologist

Dimensional DBA

425-891-7934 (cell)

D&B 047931344

CAGE 7J5S7 Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net

 <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-parker/6/51b/944/> View Matthew Parker's profile on LinkedIn

www.dimensionaldba.com <http://www.dimensionaldba.com/>

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Alfredo Abate Sent: Friday, November 11, 2016 11:55 AM To: Jeff Chirco
Cc: kathy duret; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: jumbo frames with non rac

Jeff,

My understanding of using jumbo frames with Oracle RAC is to be able to increase the packet size of the private interconnect (heartbeat) of the cluster for better performance. This is normally done on segregated switches (or switch ports), NICs, etc so that they are all configured for the larger MTU size (9000).

If you are considering enabling jumbo frames on the public network of a single instance (or even RAC) database server that your application servers or end users will directly be connecting to it can cause issues since most networks are configured for the normal MTU size (1500). This mismatch will potentially cause network issues such as packet drops when the two devices are communicating with each other.

Alfredo

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry yes Oracle Linux 7 here and with hugepages. 11g database currently but plans to 12c.

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 9:15 AM, kathy duret <katpopins21_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

I am assuming Linux here ...

You will also need to set up hugepages and there are some other settings to consider like semaphores.

There are many papers on how to do set this up. I would look on MOS first and then go fro there.

Kathy Duret

From: Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> To: "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Friday, November 11, 2016 10:30 AM Subject: jumbo frames with non rac

We are in the middle of setting up replacing new database servers and been wondering about jumbo frames. We have 10gb network and we don't run RAC and not sure if we ever will but wondering if there still is a big benefit for jumbo frames? We also are running a new NetApp all flash storage.

From what I have read so far is yes there is a benefit but just wondering if anyone has any opinions? I am not very knowledgeable on the network side of things.

Thanks,

Jeff