Oracle Estate Governance...

From: David Mann <dmann99_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 14:54:19 -0500

Before I embark on yet another development project... Are there any 3rd party tools out there for governance of Oracle databases at an organization?

Ideally I would like to feed it a bunch of DBSNMP account connection info, let it discover the environment, and allow me to set some custom fields (lifecycle, location, business owner, functional group).

Reports on gathered configurations would be expected. Bonus if it can provide some useful info on interactions like resolving DB link definitions. Change over time as databases are created/retired would be useful as well.

Here are the challenges I have found in places I have worked:

  • Most enterprises have some sort of corporate level ITIL influenced configuration management DB, but very few allow us to customize it with particular things DBAs may want to hold (lifecycle, RAC details, TDE details, other config details).
  • OEM is available but it can be a chore to navigate and even more of a chore to extract info from. Also detail is only in OEM when a DB is configured/reachable so this was of marginal usefulness when managing a recent migration project.
  • DBAs are a resourceful bunch and I have found multiple custom Application Express apps in my travels which were used to help bridge the gap... But inevitiably people move on and don't document systems ... leaving behind a lovingly handcrafted fragile mess.

-Dave

--
Dave Mann
General Geekery | www.brainio.us