Re: Very slow metadata-only expdp

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 02:14:22 -0400

Hi Deepak,
With the database as big as 160TB, expdp is out of the question. I have looked into your arguments to the expdp command just now and noticed that you're exporting the entire DB, probably in order to put the DDL command into some kind of versioning system. Even RMAN backup is questionable. If you have 10 GB network over the company then two bonded 10GB interfaces can produce the maximum speed of around 7.5 TB/hour. In other words the only good method to backup such a monster are storage snapshots and then using SRDF, HUR (Hitachi) or SnapVault (NetApp) to deliver the snapshot to the safe location and possibly back it to LTO-7, which can store around 6 TB. Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA