Re: DB source code

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 22:16:04 -0400

On 10/19/2016 03:54 PM, Leroy Kemnitz wrote:

> All -
>

> We are starting to 're-think' how we handle our database source code
> when we deploy it to production. We currently are saving a text copy
> and using a network drive as a 'fall back' for the source code that is
> in production. I use SQL D to do a SQL export to folders of each
> object type. Developers are using svn to keep their source code
> versions. We are moving to SharePoint and losing our network drives.
>

> What are other people using?? Are you relying solely on the
> developers for the code?? Online - GitHub??
>

> LeRoy

SQL and PL/SQL scripts are text files and just about any versioning system can handle them. My particular preference is svn (aka "subversion"). Git is better for branch merging, but people doing SQL and PL/SQL usually don't do much of the branch merging. Furthermore, I have no particular reason to favor svn, it's just that I've used it the most. I am not as familiar with the Git, but some people I know think that it's the best versioning system ever. As a consultant, I don't have much need for a versioning system. Git is a relatively new versioning system, written by Linus Torvalds. Subversion, on the other hand is the top of the evolution tree which started with RCS and progressed to CVS. It's still very popular. A very good GUI tool for svn is Tortoise: https://tortoisesvn.net. It also works on Linux.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA