Re: Changing USER_TAB_COLUMNS Synonym

From: Jack Applewhite <jack.applewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 15:37:28 +0000

I'd say it's not a lie, but an expansion of available data. Still accurate for the User's schema, but adding other schema's tables accessible to the User. An expansion of available data that the User is needing. Seems to me to be a perfect use of a private synonym when a code change isn't possible or very difficult to implement.

--

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)

I can't help about the shape I'm in,
I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin. But ... -- "Oh Well" F.M.

From: Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com> Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 10:29 AM To: Jack Applewhite; Oracle-L
Subject: RE: Changing USER_TAB_COLUMNS Synonym

I ask for my schema's columns, and I get all the columns in the database

Maybe the database isn't broke, but it's lying to me.

From: Jack Applewhite [mailto:jack.applewhite_at_austinisd.org] Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 11:26 AM To: Oracle-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Changing USER_TAB_COLUMNS Synonym

I second that. It's just a single private synonym. I see no possibility of "breaking the database" as another reply put it.

--

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)

I can't help about the shape I'm in,
I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin. But ... -- "Oh Well" F.M.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>> on behalf of Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hpe.com<mailto:mark.powell2_at_hpe.com>> Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 10:21 AM To: Oracle-L; oracle_at_1001111.com<mailto:oracle_at_1001111.com> Subject: Re: Changing USER_TAB_COLUMNS Synonym

Dave, I do not see a problem with modifying a specific username to give them different visibility to database objects if changing the application itself is not really an option at this point.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>> on behalf of Dave Morgan <oracle_at_1001111.com<mailto:oracle_at_1001111.com>> Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 10:56:57 AM To: Oracle-L
Subject: Changing USER_TAB_COLUMNS Synonym

Hello All,

        Does anyone know of bad consequences or side effects to altering a single schema's USER_TAB_COLUMNS synonym to point at ALL_TAB_COLUMNS?

Our sophisticated developers used a data owner schema in their ORM to code against and since they don't have access to those accounts in production ........

--

Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited dave.morgan_at_1001111.com<mailto:dave.morgan_at_1001111.com> 403 399 2442

Oracle-L mail list - FreeLists<http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l>

www.freelists.org<http://www.freelists.org>

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential student and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under the federal Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. §1232g, 34 CFR Part 99, 19 TAC 247.2, Gov't Code 552.023, Educ. Code 21.355, 29 CFR 1630.14(b)(c)). If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential student and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under the federal Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. §1232g, 34 CFR Part 99, 19 TAC 247.2, Gov't Code 552.023, Educ. Code 21.355, 29 CFR 1630.14(b)(c)). If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Oct 18 2016 - 17:37:28 CEST

Original text of this message