RE: ADO.Net Database Providers

From: TJ Kiernan <tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 22:06:29 +0000

I second ODP.Net (ODAC). If I recall correctly, Microsoft abandoned their effort at an Oracle driver and have recommended using Oracle’s for quite some time.

I must acknowledge the dead zone between the limit of my understanding of the Oracle client and the developers’ understanding of Visual Studio/.Net. With that said, here are some gotchas we’ve run into…

Our findings here are that ODAC is extremely brittle to minor version changes (the client installs on your application servers and developer workstations had better be in lockstep, version wise). There have also been some complaints about number “rounding,” which I think has more to do with the conversion of oracle’s decimal number type to .Net’s binary types (float, double, etc).

The last I saw, Oracle recommended installing ODAC to its own client, but I was never able to configure a silent install on the pure client, so I’ve taken to installing it into a previously-installed client. We’ve never had time to mess with the XCOPY deployments.

Good luck!

HTH,
T. J.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 4:49 PM
To: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com> Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: ADO.Net Database Providers

four thousand, eight hundred and sixty three years ago (number may be approximate) I was a tech reviewer on https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=AsSBza2KxogC (I'm more shocked by my face than my hair) . Back then I'd have recommended the Oracle drivers. I see no reason to change my mind. Oracle have a strong commercial interest in being up to date,feature complete, and efficient, wth these drivers.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 10:25 PM, Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com<mailto:oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Dear List,

What is a good database provider to use with ADO.NET<http://ADO.NET>? Any recommendations?

I have some developers who are migrating from VB6 to .Net with Oracle 11g.

Thanks,
Dennis Williams

--

Niall Litchfield