Re: TNSPING question

From: Jure Bratina <jure.bratina_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 23:27:39 +0200

Hi Robert,

Did you try enabling sqlnet tracing and performing a connection attempt (tnsping apparently doesn't produce tracefiles, at least on Windows)?

Example:
1) add the following parameters to your client machine's sqlnet.ora and make sure the directory where TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT points to exists: TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = SUPPORT
TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=c:\temp\traces
DIAG_ADR_ENABLED=OFF 2) perform a connection attempt, in my case I'm specifying a non-existant alias:

c:\>sqlplus test/test_at_nonexistent_db

ERROR:
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

3) the tracefile in c:\temp\traces has the following line which shows where the tnsnames.ora is located:
nnftmlf_make_system_addrfile: system names file is C:\oracle\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

Also check the value of NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH in sqlnet.ora or in the produced tracefile, so that the alias is indeed read from tnsnames.ora and not from some other naming directory service, e.g. from the tracefile: nlstddp_dump_ptable: NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH = (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)

nnfgsrdp: Setting path:
nnfgsrdp: checking element TNSNAMES
nnfgsrdp: checking element ONAMES
nnfgsrdp: Native naming adapter for ONAMES not found
nnfgsrdp: checking element HOSTNAME
nnfgsrdp: Path set

nnfun2a: entry
nlolgobj: entry
nnfgrne: entry
nnfgrne: Going though read path adapters *nnfgrne: Switching to TNSNAMES adapter*

Regards,
Jure Bratina