RE: Bi-Directional replication

From: Neil Chandler <neil_chandler_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 22:11:09 +0100

Oh yes. Conflict resolution is massive. Many meetings with BA's and Devs discussing "so with this table... what when we have an update clash. What should we do. What value wins? Should we merge the data?" Like Pokemon, you gotta catch 'em all or you will end up in a whole world of pain; of paused replication, system functional issues and anxious senior management.

Usually not the time to show them the document where you explained DataGuard with FarSync and Fast Connect Failover might just be a better solution (career tip - get your manager to do that before it goes wrong so he can get some cudos when it comes to bonus time. Your manager knows who to keep happy then.)

Neil, independent consultant with no manager to keep happy https://chandlerdba.wordpress.com/

From: dmann99_at_gmail.com

These replication systems (Sybase and GoldenGate) offer conflict resolution capabilities but handling all of the cases where conflicts can happen... and then getting everyone to decide what to do about the conflict is a whole different story.
-Dave
--

Dave MannGeneral Geekery | www.brainio.usDatabase Geekery | www.ba6.us | _at_ba6dotus | http://www.ba6.us/rss.xml
--