Re: any extra patches to consider?

From: Patrick Jolliffe <jolliffe_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 13:10:43 +0800

Patrice,
I was looking in this area fairly recently and have a couple of pointers you may wish to consider.

Firstly, consider moving from PSU's to DBBP (Database Proactive Bundle Patches).
A few resources you can find about the differences:
https://blogs.oracle.com/UPGRADE/entry/oracle_april_2016_psu_and https://www.pythian.com/blog/oracle-database-12c-psus-vs-database-proactive-bundle-patches/ In summary each DBBP contain a superset of bug fixes contained in the equivalent PSU.
Note that one-off patches must either be build for DBBP or PSU, they are not interchangable.
I decided that DBBP was the way to go on Linux (and maybe Solaris) only for now, as I guess Exadata customers install the DBBP as part of full stack patchset, so they are likely better tested, and individual bug fixes on top of the DBBPs are often available.
For AIX (our other main platform), seems individual bug-fixes are generally only available on top of PSU's for now, so I guess DBBP on AIX is less well tested, at least until Oracle does a better job of communicating the best practices.

In addition, you may also want to review the following document which lists some bug fixes not included in latest PSU or DBBP. Things to Consider to Avoid Poor Performance or Wrong Results on 12.1.0.2 (Doc ID 2034610.1) I guess there are equivalents for other versions.

Slightly worryingly (in the case of 12.1.0.2) we have encountered quite a few cases of wrong results, some very easy to reproduce. Bug fixes for some of these issues already exist, but they are neither included in PSU, DBBP or the support note above.

Regards
Patrick

https://hkpatora.com/