Oracle Licensing - know what you have out there

From: <rob_at_oraclewizard.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 17:17:31 +0000

This has happened to mea couple times now. A customer wanted me to audit their Oracle licensing. Thecustomer feels they are paying too much money and they want to negotiate downwhat they are paying. This was also done in conjuction of a security accessment. After a few weeksgathering up all the Oracle products they are using, what hardware and VM'sthey are running on, etc. Candy, CPA, CFE (she's the smart one and only married me because I can reach things on the top shelf; but I digress) and Isat down poring through all the data. Just to get this customer current withtheir current licensing obligations to Oracle will increase what they arecurrently paying by a factor of eleven. Here is what got them introuble.

1) The group that isresponsible to maintain the servers got hooked on building VM's in a VM farm.If you install Oracle on a VM, you are licensed by the total size of the VMfarm.
2) Uncontrolledinstallation of Oracle products. I heard this a number of times. Hey<customer name> has an enterprise license, so we built it. It does notwork that way.
3) Uncontrolled usage ofadd on products, such as partitioning, and tuning pack.
I'm leaving it up to thecustomer to handle all the negations with Oracle. On the upside, I've beentrying to sell them on the benefit of consolidation into both the Z10 and the Oracle Cloud for economic and security reasons. It looks like this may happen now. -Rob

Robert P. LockardOracle ACEWinner of the 2015 Oracle Developers Choice Award for Database DesignPresident Oraclewizard.com, Inc. The question is not “who is going to let me,” it's “who is going to stop me." Ayn Rand
(cell) 571.276.4790
(office) 410.766.6960
(fax) 410.766.0332

twitter _at_navonpilot