Re: MySQL forums, blogs and tuning books (was Uber & Postgres)

From: Ryan January <rjanuary_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 12:13:57 -0500

Everyone else has been killing it with their suggestions and I can't add a whole lot there. Grafana is amazing for visualization. I've used the percona app, and really do like it. It relies on Prometheus to gather and persist data behind the scenes. You won't find anything with better dashboards straight out of the box. Another potential data source is Telegraf (and the MySQL plugin) dumping data to InfluxDB. We're using Influx for a great deal of our metrics, so that route was a little more natural than adding in another data store.

The one thing I would add for anybody else who's curious at alternate databases; MySQL does seem to be hitting a maturation tipping point. I'm at a crossroads where I'm seriously considering moving away from Oracle to focus mostly on MySQL. I feel like I rode the coat tails of the Oracle wave (starting right after the release of 10.1). I want to get out ahead of the next thing.

The addition of Performance Schema was huge for me. What MySQL has historically lacked is instrumentation. PS is a huge step forward into seeing what the DB is doing internally. Throw the sys schema on top, making an Oracle DBA feel at home, and it's adding up to having a great level of potential in the next few years.

Thanks,
Ryan