Data Guard Apply Tuning ?

From: Andy Klock <andy_at_oracledepot.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:49:46 -0400

Hi Listers,

Hoping you can offer some comparisons for me in regards to Data Guard APPLY throughput. We've got some beefy servers HP Superdomes on top rate EMC storage. We generate up to 8TB of REDO a day. We don't experience Transport Lags, but do have periods when our Apply Rate (100~MB/Sec) just isn't enough to keep up with our REDO generation. I've reviewed DOC:

Data Guard Physical Standby - Monitoring Redo Generation and Managed Recovery Performance
<https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/KMConsolidatedSearch?_adf.ctrl-state=mh20572at_215&_afrLoop=306597344292033#>(Doc ID 1552335.1)

But, would like to get some real world metrics from those of you pushing DG. What are your average Apply Rates?

SQL> select type,item,sofar,sysdate time from v$recovery_progress where total=0;

TYPE                           ITEM                      SOFAR TIME
------------------------------ -------------------- ----------
-----------------
Media Recovery                 Average Apply Rate        76301 20160830
12:47:56
Media Recovery                 Redo Applied            1165240 20160830
12:47:56
Media Recovery                 Last Applied Redo             0 20160830
12:47:56
Media Recovery                 Elapsed Time              15638 20160830
12:47:56
Media Recovery                 Standby Apply Lag             3 20160830
12:47:56

Thanks!

Andy K