RE: Oracle 12c RAC in Docker

From: <rajendra.pande_at_ubs.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:52:44 +0000

Mr Gogala

If you review some of the previous postings isn’t it strange that there have been more than one instance where you are on one side and most of the others, including old timers of likes of Tanel and JL are on the other. Even assuming if you are polite and right – and others are not, then it is still time to evaluate why that happens and you bring out this kind of reaction from others And then what is the point of participating in a list where the discussion tends to veer off from a technical discussion on the use of dockers, however useless it may be to this pointless back and forth

Regards

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Tim Gorman Sent: Monday, August 29, 2016 7:04 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Oracle 12c RAC in Docker

When you're the only one interpreting your response as "polite", then it's past time to evaluate one's own actions objectively and unflinchingly.

In many respects, virtual machines are still a single-tenant approach to server resources which is less efficient when all the services or resources aren't needed, while containers represent a more efficient multi-tenant architecture. The same rationale which has worked so well for SQL Server, Sybase, and MySQL at the database level, which Oracle is joining with the multi-tenant option, is the rationale behind Docker and LXC at the OS level.

In the case of RAC, containers meant for easy distribution are probably how OPS/RAC should have been designed from the outset, and it is never too late to try to retrofit.

On 8/29/16 16:02, Mladen Gogala wrote:
On 08/29/2016 05:41 PM, Tim Gorman wrote: A simple "no, I have not" would have been a civil (though equally unnecessary) response. "No, I don't know, so neither should you" would appear to have been a more honest response. Thanks for the lecture, but it is completely unnecessary, as most of the condescending lectures usually are. Nevertheless, people seem to be compelled to giving them anyway. My question was honest. Oracle RAC provides fault tolerance and requires considerable resources like shared storage, two network cards and several sets of IP addresses. Docker containers are lightweight virtual machines meant for easy distribution. What would be the point of that? The question is completely fair: what would such a configuration be used for?

There is a lot to found googling information about LXC and Oracle<https://www.google.com/#q=lxc+oracle+12c>, including official product pages, blog posts, presentations, and videos. Likewise, there are detailed articles about Docker and Oracle<https://www.google.com/#q=docker+oracle+12c> from Frits Hoogland<https://fritshoogland.wordpress.com/2015/08/11/installing-the-oracle-database-in-docker/> and Franck Pachot<https://www.doag.org/formes/pubfiles/6939790/docs/Publikationen/DOAGNews/2015/03-2015/2015-03-News-Franck_Pachot-Data-virtualization-playing-with-Oracle-12c-on-Docker-containers-E.pdf>, among others.

Is there anything specific you're seeking, or steps with which to get started?

I am not particularly interested in Docker yet. It is still not a mainstream technology. I only politely asked what would be the point of putting RAC nodes into Docker containers. For training purposes, virtual machines are more than appropriate.

On 8/29/16 15:17, Mladen Gogala wrote:
On 08/29/2016 02:20 PM, Seth Miller wrote:

Has anyone attempted to get 12.1.0.2 RAC running in Docker or LXC yet?

Seth Miller

What would be the point of that?

--

Mladen Gogala

Oracle DBA

Tel: (347) 321-1217

Please visit our website at
http://financialservicesinc.ubs.com/wealth/E-maildisclaimer.html for important disclosures and information about our e-mail policies. For your protection, please do not transmit orders or instructions by e-mail or include account numbers, Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information.
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Aug 30 2016 - 13:52:44 CEST

Original text of this message