Re: I'm right to say you really don't need oracle materialized views? and we can do it manually?

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 21:35:08 -0600

On 01/08/2016 2:57 PM, Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco wrote:

> The free feature for Oracle to create materialized views in all
> release
> <http://oraacle.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-free-feature-for-oracle-to-create.html>
>

> Hello I'm asking if I'm right please.
> I'm not sure, if we really need a special feature to create
> materialied views, if we use an obvious methodology to create a
> materialized views like this, we cna see we cna creaet even an option
> to update teh materialied view from a trigger.
> I dont understand clearly why to user oracle materialized views, to
> create a materialized view, unless for standard and time saving, but
> at the end is the same.
> Because in this way we have more control of everything. Of course
> there are more options but we cn add for ourselves.
> Thank you :)
> <http://oraacle.blogspot.com/>

Since I've already paid for the capability by purchasing the product, I don't see why I would spend an extra penny duplicating functionality - unless it is truly missing functionality.

Remember that anything YOU write YOU get to document, maintain, and test with each patch and upgrade. If you have the time, the money, and the need to have more control than can be achieved by the (very flexible) materialized view mechanism, then by all means, do it yourself.

That said, I am fairly certain that the Query Rewrite capability of the optimizer will not automatically recognize your 'holding table'. And that means you will need to decide when writing your application whether to use the base tables or your 'holding table'. Which is another thing that needs to be documented, maintained, and tested with each patch and upgrade.

(Sounds like Oracle is trying to save you money. I would like that?)

http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/CNCPT/schemaob.htm#CNCPT611

/Hans