Re: Looking for Suggestions - 5 TB DB WHSE Backup options

From: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 12:30:32 -0500

Both actually. Oracle suggests to set the parallelism (# of channels) for the sbt device to match the number of physical tape devices. Disable media management multiplexing because RMAN intelligently takes care of the multiplexing.

If the throughput is too low, adjustments on the RMAN side (multiplexing level, buffer size, number of buffers) can increase the amount of data coming into the media manager.

Yes, a tape device refers to the media management library you have configured in RMAN. You can have multiple physical tapes receiving data through that single RMAN tape device.