Re: Looking for Suggestions - 5 TB DB WHSE Backup options

From: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 11:36:53 -0500

Duplexing wouldn't make much sense since that would mean copying the same file to multiple destinations. He is probably referring to multiplexing or parallelism. There is a difference between RMAN multiplexing and parallelism and the term "stream" usually relates to the latter. RMAN multiplexing allows multiple files to be read at the same time within a single channel and defaults to 8. RMAN parallelism refers to multiple channels writing to the same destination and is often referred to as multiplexing on the media management side.

Oracle suggests that no more than 1 channel be used per tape device to prevent inefficient writes and shoe-shining.

*"Do not utilize media management multiplexing (multiple channels per tape drive). RMAN backup pieces will not be efficiently restored due to the interleaving of pieces on the same tape volume, which may necessitate the forward and backward movement of the tape."*

Seth Miller