Re: Multi-Tenant Question - Oracle chose HIGH COUPLING - why?

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 15:56:04 -0500

And that's what I was trying to get to (or at): The primary reason it was built this particular way. Because it creates a highly coupled (and frankly, FAT) application in total. And I'm curious at the driving motivation here. I can only imagine it has to do with reducing licensing complexity overall.

The closest analogy to what I would have "thought" that it would make more sense to build a CDB:PDB relationship much like a server where:

MainServer (CDB) with Many LUNS (PDBs) - each LUN could be picked up and moved independently to another MainServer but in this case they can't unless the CDB has the same options installed.

Which leads to this decision point when Oracle was building this setup: 1. Do we install every option in the CDB so that anyone can pick up a PDB and plop it down any where (This is what Oracle chose) OR 2. Do we allow a PDB to be picked up and moved without the options being required in the CDB (this could have been engineered and I think more flexible and lean)

Chris