RE: Multi-Tenant Question - Oracle chose HIGH COUPLING - why?

From: Dimensional DBA <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 13:44:35 -0700

This more for simplicity of design, simplicity of coding and simplicity of licensing.

Matthew Parker

Chief Technologist

Dimensional DBA

425-891-7934 (cell)

D&B 047931344

CAGE 7J5S7 Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net

 <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-parker/6/51b/944/> View Matthew Parker's profile on LinkedIn

www.dimensionaldba.com <http://www.dimensionaldba.com/>

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Chris Taylor Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:42 PM
To: Franck Pachot
Cc: John Mchugh; ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Multi-Tenant Question - Oracle chose HIGH COUPLING - why?

But this is only because the decision was made to "build it that way" right? I mean, they could have built it where the PDBs were solely independent of the CDB other than for Memory/Storage/Network definitions. Right?

For example, if I'm building a container object, I don't throw in everything that a child object might reference do I? The child object can reference whatever it needs when it needs it. It doesn't _have_ to be part of the parent container.

Here's why this is interesting to me. Take APEX for example, or OLAP, or DBV.

It's in the CDB, therefore it's in the SEED PDB. At a minimum, we have 1 master and 1 duplicate of the same application. Now we build another PDB, and it gets APEX and OLAP and DBV also. Now we have 3 copies, or iterations of the same product.

The only reason I can think of "why" this is, is because those options are licensed at the instance layer and not at the PDB layer.

Chris

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Franck Pachot <franck_at_pachot.net> wrote:

Hi,

All the system metadata (table, pl/sql, etc) related to features and options is stored in the CDB$ROOT. So, the CDB must have all options that may be used by one or more PDBs.

Think of it like the oracle executable and libraries having all the code even when you don't use the options.

CDB$ROOT is like an ORACLE_HOME but for the part of the software that resides in tables and stored procedures.

Regards,

Franck.

Franck Pachot | Senior Consultant & Oracle Technology Leader | Oracle Certified Master 12c and Oracle ACE Director