Re: ODA update to 12.1.2.5.0 node 2 hostname reset

From: Jack Applewhite <jack.applewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 17:34:51 +0000

Wish I'd seen you first email, though I couldn't have provided a solution. We've got two X4s and two X5s and just went through the 12.1.2.2.0 to 12.1.2.5.0 upgrade on the X4s. We didn't have your problem though we had some of our own on one of the X4s. That involved having to restore the older (pre .2) patch repos, but it took Oracle Support a long time to figure it out. There aren't many of them that know ODAs very well.

The "good" X4 had no problems with the 12.1.2.5.0 patch and only minor problems (had to remove a few disallowed RPMs) with the 12.1.2.6.0 patch. We're applying the .6 patch to the other X4 tomorrow and expect no issues besides the disallowed RPMs. Actually, we did have a problem with the .5 patch - the DB part did not upgrade the 11.2.0.4.5 homes and DBs to 11.2.0.4.8. No errors, just nothing happened. However, the .6 patch did upgrade the 11.2.0.4.5 homes and DBs to 11.2.0.4.160119.

We'll apply the .5 patch to one of the X5s in the next few days, followed by the .6 patch. Later the other X5 will get both patches. It's sure hard to get downtime scheduled, even here at a School District over the summer.

Anyway, good to know there's another ODA-er out there. We'll keep in touch. BTW, we have a VM environment setup with no RAC at all.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of De DBA <dedba_at_tpg.com.au> Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:59 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: ODA update to 12.1.2.5.0 node 2 hostname reset

I guess either ODAs are not very popular, or I have all the luck in the world, finding arcane bugs..

Just to document it in case anyone needs it in the future: somehow the hostname was changed in /etc/sysconfig/network. Changing it back and a reboot solved the problem. Simple on hindsight, but it just took Oracle more than 6 hours of pouring over logs to come up with the solution.

Cudos to the MOS support guy who was very diligent and helpful! Should happen more often.

Cheers,
Tony

On 13/07/16 21:15, De DBA wrote:
> G'day
>
> I'm in the process of patching the least significant of a number of ODAs from OAK 12.1.2.2.0 to 12.1.2.5.0. Everything seemed to go swimmingly until the reboot, some 80 minutes after starting the first stage (INFRA).
>
> The first node came back up perfectly, CRS and ASM started normally - no errors. However, somehow the host name on one node (node 2) was reset to 'oak2' and nothing besides the OS and oakd started. Has anyone seen this before?
>
> OHASD complains that the autorun file is missing. I admit that I haven't a lot of experience with CRS and OHASD, but I wonder if that can be reduced back to the changed hostname? Provided that nothing else was destroyed by the update, would changing the hostname back to what it should be allow OHASD to start?
>
> Cheers,
> Tony

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential student and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under the federal Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. §1232g, 34 CFR Part 99, 19 TAC 247.2, Gov't Code 552.023, Educ. Code 21.355, 29 CFR 1630.14(b)(c)). If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.