RE: DBA granted to app schema

From: Dimensional DBA <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 07:29:18 -0700

Rich asked for scripts to capture the SQL that the app was running as I understood in order to then use that to install into his database environments instead of granting them DBA in every environment that they would install into.

This is one of many alternative approaches to granting the DBA privilege on install, if the SW vendor approves its use. An example where it would not be supported is say the install of SAP.

In regular environments some form of auditing even on what we as DBAs do is considered sufficient by Compliance once you can explain how you ensure that the DBA cannot compromise the audit trail.

Matthew Parker

Chief Technologist

Dimensional DBA

425-891-7934 (cell)

D&B 047931344

CAGE 7J5S7 Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net

<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-parker/6/51b/944/> View Matthew Parker's profile on LinkedIn

www.dimensionaldba.com <http://www.dimensionaldba.com/>

From: j_akins [mailto:j_akins_at_nc.rr.com] Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:23 AM
To: dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net; debra.scarpelli_at_bell.ca; 'Oracle L' Subject: RE: DBA granted to app schema

Just turning on auditing is a poor security stance. I'm pretty sure that will not pass most industry audits.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Scarpelli, Debra Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 6:40 AM
To: Oracle L

I’m working thru this issue with vendor software now. The application installation requires a schema, and there are scripts to run to pre-create the schema.. so it seems it should not be necessary to grant DBA privileges. I’ve decided to put tracing/auditing on to see what the application user is trying to do when it connects, and maybe this way, can grant just the privileges needed instead of DBA.

If anyone has done this before and is willing to share their scripts, etc. please contact me? Or post URL

Thank you.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Rich J Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:31 AM
To: Oracle L

On 2016/07/14 07:54, Dimensional DBA wrote:

The reasons are many as I explained yesterday. There are a variety of COTS vendor software that was written to think they own the database world and need the access through one administrative user to control other users that are a part of their application in the database. Normally these applications are purchased by a specific team in the company in a lot of cases other infrastructure teams before the DBA team evens knows the app exists and there is nothing that can be done at that point as the vendor is not changing their app and it has to be implemented.

I'm going through something similar right now, although I was able to talk the vendor out of the DML "ANY" privs. Instead of installing their schema into our ERP DB, I have an auxiliary DB that connects to the ERP DB via links. I created schemas to mirror the ERP DB, then views over the DB links. The vendor keeps warning of performance problems of the DB links, as though their views than generate 70-line explain plans aren't the real issue...

Not that this method will work for every vendor's software, but it might be one alternative.

Rich