Re: Passwords in DBA_USERS (Oracle 12c)

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 08:16:09 -0500

Having the password "somewhere" is important so I'm not sure if Andy is suggesting it's absurd to have it anywhere in the database or not. But for at least one case it's terribly important and that is supporting legacy applications.

Sometimes you need to be able to login as an application schema to create an object such as a materialized view or database link that is either exceptionally difficult or impossible to do UNLESS you are logged in as the schema owner.
The DBA may not have access to the schema password but can preserve the password by looking at sys.user$ for the encrypted password, temporarily change it, create the object (db link or MV), then change the password back without ever affecting the application (or briefly affecting the application at least).

Thanks,
Chris