Re: dbms_utility.port_string alternative or enhancement

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hpe.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 13:35:41 +0000

Define what you mean by "more structured." What specific information are you looking for and how do you need to display it?

Do you need to get the information from Oracle so that the result is not platform dependent (Windows vs UNIX) or do you just need to support UNIX and Linux and OS methods like you display with lsb_release are fine?

On UNIX/Linux the uname utility has numerous options that can be used to extract the OS version, release, server name, etc...

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Luis Santos <lsantos_at_pobox.com> Sent: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 4:40:03 PM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: dbms_utility.port_string alternative or enhancement

We can get some info about our Oracle DBMS host platform using old and good dbms_utility.port_string.

[11g]> select dbms_utility.port_string from dual;

PORT_STRING

x86_64/Linux 2.4.xx

[11g]> select dbms_utility.port_string from dual;

PORT_STRING

IBM AIX64/RS6000 V4 - 8.1.0 ?Is there a way to get this information is more structured way? For example, on Linux Systems, we can get detailed and structures info about OS using lsb_release:

[oracle_at_vasco P01CT1 /home/oracle]$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version: 1.3
Distributor ID: RedHatEnterpriseAS

Release:        4
Codename:       Nahant