Re: VM vs Data Guard for DB redundancy

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:10:38 +0200 (CEST)

Hey Woody,
well before going into any technical details, you need to define clearly what your RPO and RTO is about. I mean you already mentioned an uptime of 99% and max downtime of 45 minutes, but in what scale? Per month? Per year? Per week? Per day? With system maintenance windows or not? For example a downtime of 99% per year is 5.256 minutes which does not really fit to your 45 minutes, but a downtime of 99% per day is 14,4 minutes which does not really fit to your 45 minutes as well.

After you got these detailed requirements from the business owner, you need to clarify RPO in detail ("You would lose in-flight, but that appears to be acceptable" is not enough definition at all).

There may be also legal statements (e.g. like from BSI in Germany - https://www.bsi.bund.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/BSI/Hochverfuegbarkeit/BandB/B8_Datenbanken.pdf), which clearly state that only a virtualization solution is not sufficient for RDBMS HA, but this is country/environment dependent of course. You should check this with your state and planned systems.

Be also aware that virtualization only catch host failures. You still have to deal with logical and physical corruption (and detection) on RDBMS level, which has to be set in relation to your defined RPO / RTO and database size, etc..

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK