Re: can I de-install after removing the ORACLE_HOME software?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 16:14:54 -0400

On 06/09/2016 11:45 AM, Ray Stell wrote:

> On 6/9/16 10:29 AM, sumit Tyagi wrote:
>
>> Dont make any manual change in inventory file... you can use the
>> above command suggested and that should work .
>>
> Why not?
>
> I've had oracle support people tell me to edit it during cleanup of
> patching train wrecks. The file describes homes and if the home is
> gone, don't describe it?

Because it's so easy to mess up. The file also describes dependencies, and if you mess it up, you may end up with an unusable system. Besides, editing the XML file is not supported. If something happens, you're on your own. Oracle guarantees for the installer and support will gladly help you if something happens as a result of an installer action. I've used Oracle Support many times, I've even been providing it a very long time ago, and I know the value of having support at hand very, very well. And if you edit it manually, you don't have support at hand. It's the same thing as with installing Oracle on Fedora: it's doable, but if you do it, you're on your own.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA