RE: LOG_BUFFER

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 20:50:21 +0000

The significant difference, perhaps, is that Oracle cues the log writer but doesn't wait for it to write when issuing a commit inside an anonymous pl/sql block - the session only waits for a log file sync as the call to execute the block completes and before the process returns control to the end-user.

You might try using "commit write immediate wait" in the pl/sql loop to see if that causes the hang as well.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
_at_jloracle

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] on behalf of Rich J [rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com] Sent: 19 May 2016 20:20
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: LOG_BUFFER

On 2016/05/19 13:49, Robert Freeman wrote: One interesting support document has to do with a bug related to adaptive log file sync being enabled in 11.2.0.3. See document 1462942.1 hangs related to adaptive log file sync – describes bug 13930580. Also document 1541136.1 provides a bit more information about the adaptive log file sync method, which also highlights a couple of additional bugs related to this new 11gR2 feature.

Possibly related, I have an SR open (6th one in a chain that goes back almost 3 years) that appears to be very close to 1462942.1. In my case, I can 100% duplicate the LGWR blocking by over committing in a tight loop from SQL in a Perl client (over committing in PL/SQL does not cause the blocking).

Rich