RE: tnsping phantom file

From: Storey, Robert (DCSO) <"Storey,>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 19:55:03 +0000

None that I can find.

From: Jeff Smith [mailto:jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com] Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:29 PM
To: Storey, Robert (DCSO); Sheehan, Jeremy; MAdams_at_TroverSolutions.com; Oracle L Subject: RE: tnsping phantom file

Any files named tnsnames* in that directory?

SQL*Plus will read from ANY file that starts with that, just not .ORA ones

From: Storey, Robert (DCSO) [mailto:RStorey_at_DCSO.nashville.org] Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 3:26 PM
To: Sheehan, Jeremy; MAdams_at_TroverSolutions.com<mailto:MAdams_at_TroverSolutions.com>; Oracle L Subject: RE: tnsping phantom file

My sqlnet.ora file is all commented out.
# SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\ora90\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

# NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = abcd.org

# SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

# NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (EZCONNECT, TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)
Below is the screen capture. When I first did this tnsping, it responded as expected BUT there was NO information in the tnsnames file. Yet, it returned the two active ports and all the correct information. When I added it to the tnsnames .ora it still returned both ports instead of just the one I entered.

Used parameter files:
C:\Oracle\Ora11g\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)

From: Sheehan, Jeremy [mailto:JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_nexteraenergy.com] Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:20 PM
To: MAdams_at_TroverSolutions.com<mailto:MAdams_at_TroverSolutions.com>; Storey, Robert (DCSO); Oracle L Subject: RE: tnsping phantom file

Are you not getting the location information when you use tnsping?

[cid:image001.png_at_01D1B04C.17117C40]

Jeremy

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Matt Adams Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 3:12 PM
To: Storey, Robert (DCSO); Oracle L
Subject: RE: tnsping phantom file

This is an EXTERNAL email. Exercise caution. DO NOT open attachments or click links from unknown senders or unexpected email.

If it's a 32 bit client on 64 bit windows, then the ORACLE key will be in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> WOW6432NODE (at least that's where it is on my PC)

From: Storey, Robert (DCSO) [mailto:RStorey_at_DCSO.nashville.org] Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 3:02 PM
To: Matt Adams; Oracle L

Sorry, forgot to add that I'm on windows.

I don't have TNS_ADMIN set as an environmental variable. My client was made from an image, with the software already installed and setup (client only). Interesting is that when I went into regedit to see what path was setup, Oracle was not listed as a key within the SOFTWARE setup of HKEY_Local_machine

From: Matt Adams [mailto:MAdams_at_TroverSolutions.com] Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 1:44 PM
To: Storey, Robert (DCSO); Oracle L

On various unix flavors, I've seen oracle pick up tnsnames.ora files in /etc, /var/opt/oracle, and $HOME. See if there is an extra file in any of these

Also check to see of the TNS_ADMIN environmental variable is set.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Storey, Robert (DCSO) Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:32 PM
To: Oracle L
Subject: tnsping phantom file

A simple thing, tnsping. However, its causing me much grief today.

Troubleshooting connectivity issue and so I immediately do a tnsping from the client station. Tnsping returns the expected information. App still will not connect.

I go look at the tnsnames.ora file and the service name does NOT exist in my file. Yet, the tnsping is returning the proper values for the service name I am asking for (which is the default service name for our app that we put on all computers).

I added the service name via net manager but only setup 1 of the two ports we normally used. I also created a different service name (Service B) with the same information. Once I added the expected service name to my tnsnames file, the app works.

However, a tnsping returns BOTH ports I normally configure for the service name. Not just the one I configured new. Tnsping of Service B returns just the one value.

The screen shows me it is using the TNSNAMES adapter, but, I have no idea where it is finding the information.

Thoughts?

  • This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosing, copying, or distributing of the contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy any copies of this document. ****
  • This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosing, copying, or distributing of the contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy any copies of this document. ****

image001.png