RE: tnsping phantom file

From: Matt Adams <MAdams_at_TroverSolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 18:43:47 +0000

On various unix flavors, I've seen oracle pick up tnsnames.ora files in /etc, /var/opt/oracle, and $HOME. See if there is an extra file in any of these

Also check to see of the TNS_ADMIN environmental variable is set.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Storey, Robert (DCSO) Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:32 PM
To: Oracle L
Subject: tnsping phantom file

A simple thing, tnsping. However, its causing me much grief today.

Troubleshooting connectivity issue and so I immediately do a tnsping from the client station. Tnsping returns the expected information. App still will not connect.

I go look at the tnsnames.ora file and the service name does NOT exist in my file. Yet, the tnsping is returning the proper values for the service name I am asking for (which is the default service name for our app that we put on all computers).

I added the service name via net manager but only setup 1 of the two ports we normally used. I also created a different service name (Service B) with the same information. Once I added the expected service name to my tnsnames file, the app works.

However, a tnsping returns BOTH ports I normally configure for the service name. Not just the one I configured new. Tnsping of Service B returns just the one value.

The screen shows me it is using the TNSNAMES adapter, but, I have no idea where it is finding the information.

Thoughts?
**** This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosing, copying, or distributing of the contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy any copies of this document. ****