RE: Third party support

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 10:28:23 -0400

AND… trying to force them to give you a patch with no support contract in place on merchantability and product defect grounds would probably both cost more than a support contract AND fail.

The only folks who get patches without a support contract (and without stealing them) are folks Oracle wants to have the patch (for whatever motive.)

So – the only two spots I can think of as a business case for third party support is a dead application product trapped on a release of Oracle for which you cannot get patches anyway, the case where you are moving off an application suite and refuse upgrades/patches from that point forward, you’re not worried about security, and the move-off project will take long enough that you will need support. (And okay, I’m not sure anything where “you’re not worried about security” is a business case. Nevertheless I believe the second case accounts for most of the revenue of at least one third party support organization.)

It is possible that some future class action could make Oracle unbundle the bits of support that are “service” from “patches” on monopoly grounds, but I would not hold your breath.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:23 AM
To: Tim Gorman
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Third party support

I'm pretty sure that they don't these days. As always the LSA that was in place when your employer signed it will contain the details.

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com> wrote:

FWIW... As I recall, the 22% of list licensing charged for Oracle support is broken down into 15% for patches, upgrades, etc and 7% for the use of MOS and technical support. So you might be able to maintain the availability of patches and upgrades, but discontinue the use of technical support.

I don't know if they break it out that way anymore; it's not to their advantage to do so.

On 5/12/16 03:49, Freek D'Hooge wrote:

If you don't have an active support contract, you are not entitled to any bug fixes, patches or new versions You will need to work with what was available at the moment your support contract was terminated.

On wo, 2016-05-11 at 18:50 -0500, Oracle List wrote:

Can we get back on the original subject, please ....

I want to hear from those who have gone to a third party model for either a partial or full support of their databases. Maintenance support to clarify. Once switching to third party how did they address getting bug-fixes, new patches or new version of s/w, etc.

On May 11, 2016, at 5:30 PM, Thomas Roach <troach_at_gmail.com> wrote:

--

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

--