RE: What is filling the logs

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 08:54:36 +0000

The archive_lag_target is a little more complicated than just "switch logs after this interval" - although that's usually a good first-order approximation. Oracle tries to anticipate the time it will take to archive the log file as well, so the time you're setting means "switch logs so that when the archiving is COMPLETE the database is no more than this many seconds ahead of where the newly archived log will take you".  This is particularly relevant for archiving across a wide area network.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
_at_jloracle