RE: Third party support

From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 12:32:01 -0700

If there is a defect in a car, the manufacturer has to fix it for free :-)

From: jt2354_at_gmail.com
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 19:10:24 +0000
Subject: Re: Third party support
To: niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com; fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com CC: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Yes, and if politicians weren't all arts or PPE graduates they'd have recognised this needs regulating like European rules on car maintenance. For a few years bus it's been illegal for a car manufacturer selling in Europe to insist you get your car serviced on their premises as a condition of the warranty. So customers have choice on price, convenience and their own evaluation of quality, to everyone's benefit - except perhaps the former "monopoly" providers of the service. Not many Oracle customers are consumers, but I would have thought very few have the muscle to push back on what can be a poor service from Oracle Support. However once you have bought Oracle if you want ongoing software updates you have to deal with a monopoly support organisation. I admit I can't think of a mechanism that would allow a separate software maintenance charge to be kept reasonable while forcing support organisations within software manufacturers to compete with third party providers on service quality, price or other measures. But I am sure smarter people than me could figure that out. Unfortunately few of those people end up in our Parliaments. Regards
JT
On Wed, 11 May 2016 at 09:43 Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote: Hans asks the pertinent question. What is it that you are considering? Most commonly people refer to the annual support *and maintenance* contracts as "support". It's the maintenance part that gives you access to patches etc. On 11 May 2016 05:46, "Hans Forbrich" <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com> wrote: Please define 'support'.

/Hans

On 10/05/2016 10:20 PM, Oracle List (Redacted sender sharmakdeep_oracle for DMARC) wrote: Any experiences (good/bad) going from Oracle support to a 3rd party support for your RDBMS's ? --
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l --