Re: Third party support

From: John Thomas <jt2354_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 19:10:24 +0000

Yes, and if politicians weren't all arts or PPE graduates they'd have recognised this needs regulating like European rules on car maintenance.

For a few years bus it's been illegal for a car manufacturer selling in Europe to insist you get your car serviced on their premises as a condition of the warranty.

So customers have choice on price, convenience and their own evaluation of quality, to everyone's benefit - except perhaps the former "monopoly" providers of the service.

Not many Oracle customers are consumers, but I would have thought very few have the muscle to push back on what can be a poor service from Oracle Support. However once you have bought Oracle if you want ongoing software updates you have to deal with a monopoly support organisation.

I admit I can't think of a mechanism that would allow a separate software maintenance charge to be kept reasonable while forcing support organisations within software manufacturers to compete with third party providers on service quality, price or other measures. But I am sure smarter people than me could figure that out.

Unfortunately few of those people end up in our Parliaments.

Regards

JT