RMAN - impact on IMAGE backup after Tablespaces in READ-ONLY

From: Scott McMillan <scott.mcmillan777_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:28:20 -0600

Hi,
We have an RMAN backup question - concerning the possible invalidation of an "IMAGE" copy backup when tablespaces are temporarily put in READ-ONLY mode.

Background:
160 TB 11.2.0.4 DB (on AIX) had RMAN full level-0 "IMAGE" copy backup done 9 months ago, and each week we merge incremental backups into it. For a DB migration project, possibly using Cross Platform Transportable Tablespaces (XTTS) steps, we want to learn the time needed to expdp all TTS 'metadata' with the tablespaces in READ-ONLY mode.

Question:
1. Will the 'IMAGE' backup become invalid (unusable for restore/recovery) if we temporarily alter all the custom tablespaces to READ-ONLY mode during a TTS metadata expdp (and then revert to READ-WRITE mode after the expdp completes)?

Or can we then continue (after temporary READ-ONLY & revert to READ-WRITE) to apply/merge incrementals into the same 'IMAGE' copy backup set, which could still be used for a possible future restore/recovery?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience,   Scott.