Re: Questions consolidating databases onto RAC Cluster

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 23:06:59 +0200 (CEST)

Hey Chris,
i usually agree with Tom, but IMHO his statement "The only correct number of instances per host is - one. If you have more than one instance per host, you cannot prevent one instance from consuming all of a given resource - causing a virtual outage of the other instance" is out-dated.

He is still right that you can not consolidate several hundreds of instances on one host as the OS needs to handle the amount of processes, but two databases on RAC should be no issue at all - especially with a current utilization of 10%.

Nowadays you also can really "cage" the instance with cgroups for example and limit memory with event like 10261 or with official documented parameters in 12c. The only part that could not be "caged" is I/O unless you move to Exadata + resource manager.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK