Re: Clone tool

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 20:13:27 -0400

Hi Kellyn,
I wouldn't presume to transfer you anywhere, but Tim was mentioning "self service" as a product feature of Delphix. I trust you that Self Service Portal in the EM13c world is something entirely different, but I am afraid that this wasn't the topic. EM13c is a very nice product, which may one day byte into the market share of Nagios, Cacti or Zabbix, which are still enterprise monitoring standards. EM is one of the few things that keep WebLogic alive. Tomcat and JBoss have pushed it out, almost entirely, which is a shame. However, this particular discussion was about Delphix. I am sorry for the confusion that may have occurred here. As far as cloning databases goes, "self service" really is a marketing term without any real meaning, unless you are trying to tell me that with Delphix, end users can clone databases, without the DBA team or system administrators approving that or even knowing about that. If that is the case, I'll gladly use it, if I ever encounter Delphix as as competitor.
Regards

On 4/25/2016 7:58 PM, Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman wrote:
> Wow, did you just transfer me to the sales team? They have been hoping
> for a way to strategically move a tech person to help them with
> sales! Expect a few thank you letters, Mladen!
>
> Last time I checked, the Self Service Portal isn't a "marketing term",
> it's a full UI that's been around for a couple years now in EM12c.
>
> Kellyn
>
> Kellyn Pot'Vin on about.me
>
> Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman
> about.me/dbakevlar
>
> <http://about.me/dbakevlar>
>
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Mladen Gogala
> <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com <mailto:gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> The term "self-service" is a marketing term without much meaning,
> if any at all. With Commvault, anyone can clone the database,
> given the appropriate privileges. Privileges can be assigned by
> the Commvault administrator. Even at a gas station you need a
> credit card for "self service". Having a credit card is a
> privilege and very far from being universal, at that.
> Also, I am not sure that the original topic included marketing of
> the products and doing feature by feature comparison. In my
> opinion, that part is not appropriate for this group. I also try
> not to push the products of my employer through this list.
> Refraining from marketing avoids awkward situations like this one.
> After all, I am a computer geek, not a sales person.
>

> On 4/25/2016 9:36 AM, Tim Gorman wrote:
>> Steve Karam, Kyle Hailey, and I are contributors to this list who
>> are also employees of Delphix.
>>
>> Back to the original topic, would you explain what "self-service
>> capability" means?

>>> Only if you are adopting extremely simplistic interpretation, to
>>> the point of silliness.

>>> Tim, I am a Commvault employee. Are you by any chance a Delphix
>>> reseller or are you making money by pushing Delphix?
>>> Regards
>>> --
>>> Mladen Gogala
>>> Oracle DBA
>>> http://mgogala.freehostia.com

> Mladen Gogala
> Oracle Consultant
> http://mgogala.freehostia.com
>
> DISCLAIMER: I am solely responsible for any opinion expressed in this email

Mladen Gogala
Oracle Consultant