Re: Pure Storage opinions

From: Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 15:55:54 -0700

As the original poster- Uh what happened here? Yeah I don't really care about third-party backup and cloning tools right now. We currently have NetApp and I take advantage of their database snapshot (SMO) utility in addition to RMAN backups. I use SMO to create thin database clones. I create a lot of clones for developers so I want to make sure Pure Storage has a similar tool built in. Actually I prefer to do it all from EM and apparently them seems possible with at least NetApp or ZFS storage, not sure about Pure Storage? But I am unsure if there is an additional pack required to do cloning from EM. As a DBA I like what ZFS has to offer in how well it supposedly works well with 12c database. We were looking at the ZFS 3-2 model with probably one of the smaller configurations.

I am not sure why I would care about a third-party backup or clone product if my storage can already do that.

Jeff