Re: Clone tool

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 16:27:32 -0600

To get closer to a useful answer, how about if instead we just discuss a specific scenario? Let's start with a scenario similar to that the original poster had posed?

Let's say someone has a 10 TB production database from which they want to create 10 non-production databases for development, testing, training, etc.

Here's the first question: how much storage must be provisioned to the non-production target server(s) to accommodate the 10 new databases?

Here are some answers that I can provide confidently...

  1. Using RMAN DUPLICATE TARGET DATABASE, they need 100 TB for the target server(s)
  2. Using Delphix, they need 10 TB for the Delphix appliance and 0 TB for the target server(s), totaling 10 TB

I'm not certain how much storage would be needed using solutions from CommVault, NetBackup, TSM, Actifio, Oracle Snapclone, Oracle12c PDB clone, Exadata, and other solutions, because I am not as familiar with them, so I'm hoping others will fill in?