Re: Clone Tool

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 11:14:20 -0600

I'm mainly concerned about not having to sleep on the couch for the next week... :)

In comparing Delphix to Oracle's several different offerings in the same space, I have two immediate thoughts: 1) check references and 2) multi-platform.

On the first point, this email list is about all things Oracle, and just about every mechanism involving the administration of Oracle gets discussed here, so why haven't these mechanisms been discussed more widely on ORACLE-L? Clonedb has been available since 2010; why isn't it being adopted? PDB cloning has been around a few years as well, and there's no doubt it works quite well, but why isn't it discussed more widely either? Some of the EM12c and EM13c features seem newer, but the question remains: since they're available, are they being used? And if not, then why not? I agree that it's entirely possible that there is a sizable underworld using these features without discussing it on ORACLE-L, and it would be really cool to hear about it.

On the topic of "multi-platform" (i.e. cloning all database platforms), I had posted to my blog some time ago
("http://evdbt.com/will-the-real-data-virtualization-please-stand-up/"). Long story short: in addition to Oracle, most IT shops have to support MSSQL, not to mention MySQL and PostgreSQL, maybe Sybase and DB2 as well. At Delphix, we're also getting hit hard on inquiries about support for Hadoop and HANA as well (and we're working on it), so I know there's interest in having a unified approach in handling this universal and ubiquitous requirement in IT.

Finally, if you step back and look at all of this from a higher level, you'll want to handle entire application system stacks too, not just the database in isolation. Oracle E-Business Suites is a great example, and built in to the Delphix product automated cloning of the EBS appsTier, the EBS dbTier, as well as the EBS database in minutes, so as not to leave DBAs dangling 500 feet off the ground after getting just the EBS database cloned. Cloning the EBS dbTier is non-trivial, and cloning the EBS appsTier even more labor-intensive, with dozens of steps to perform and scripts to run and checks to make, all automated now in Delphix. While full-stack SAP, Peoplesoft, and Siebel are not yet automated completely within the product, there are customizable call-outs making that possible today.

I liken all of this to the dental industry. You don't see dentists doing the teeth cleaning, they do the stuff that is really important (and more fun). Database cloning is kind of like teeth cleaning, nobody wants to have their doctorate and keep doing the boring stuff.