RE: Start DBCA on RHEL 5

From: Robert Freeman <rfreeman_at_businessolver.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 23:34:40 +0000

Works for me… Don’t you still have to run catalog, catproc and all those fun things… ☺ Or are you building a *really* basic database?

From: Peter Sharman [mailto:pete.sharman_at_oracle.com] Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 6:17 PM
To: dramirezr_at_gmail.com; Robert Freeman <rfreeman_at_businessolver.com> Cc: Le, Binh T. <Binh.Le_at_lfg.com>; 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org' (oracle-l_at_freelists.org) <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: RE: Start DBCA on RHEL 5

Well, if you wanted to create a simple Dev instance, here’s the easy answer:

$ setenv / export all the necessary environment variables (ORACLE_HOME, PATH, ORACLE_SID) $ sqlplus / as sysdba
SQL> create database;
SQL> exit

Pete
[Oracle logo]

Pete Sharman
Database Architect, DBaaS / DBLM
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA Phone: +61262924095<tel:+61262924095> | | Mobile: +61414443449 Email: pete.sharman_at_oracle.com<mailto:pete.sharman_at_oracle.com> Twitter: @SharmanPete LinkedIn: au.linkedin.com/in/petesharman Website: petewhodidnottweet.com

"Controlling developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA

From: David Ramírez Reyes [mailto:dramirezr_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, April 22, 2016 7:25 AM
To: Robert Freeman <rfreeman_at_businessolver.com<mailto:rfreeman_at_businessolver.com>> Cc: Le, Binh T. <Binh.Le_at_lfg.com<mailto:Binh.Le_at_lfg.com>>; 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org' (oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>) <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: Re: Start DBCA on RHEL 5

I used to use X-Manager (that's how I configured the current instances there), but now for security reasons the 22 port has been blocked for my segment (we use a jump server to access) and I had to move directly to the Site (yes, as the old times) but now am not able to start dbca (I decided to use it as I need to create a simple dev instance and didn't want to spent more time on preparing a silent install).

I know there must be something very basic, but haven't been able to find out yet...

David Ramírez Reyes
Profesión: Padre de Familia

On 21 April 2016 at 16:08, Robert Freeman <rfreeman_at_businessolver.com<mailto:rfreeman_at_businessolver.com>> wrote: Ok… let’s start with the basics…

How are you connecting? Using VNC or using ssh –X?

If ssh –X, Can you start an xterm session from the login screen that you are sitting at? (just type xterm). If not, then the problem is that you are not setup for X… and you will need to fix that. Are you using any kind of tunneling, or are you ssh’ing across more than one machine?

DBCA and all of the Oracle tools, require that you be able to start an X windows session – either on the server or on your client (ie ssh –X <servername>). If xterm does not come up, then something in your X configuration is at issue.

If X can’t start – how are you connecting to the database server (ie: ssh) and are you using Win or MAC? If Win, do you have some kind of X client like Xming.

If your using VNC, can you start xterm on that connection?

RF

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>] On Behalf Of David Ramírez Reyes Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:51 PM
To: Le, Binh T. <Binh.Le_at_lfg.com<mailto:Binh.Le_at_lfg.com>> Cc: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>' (oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>) <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: Re: Start DBCA on RHEL 5

Am executing it directly on the Server inside the Site... The Oracle user is already created (there are some instances up and running there -it is a test server) but am not able to start dbca with it or even with root.

David Ramírez Reyes

On 21 April 2016 at 14:59, Le, Binh T. <Binh.Le_at_lfg.com<mailto:Binh.Le_at_lfg.com>> wrote: Do you run it on a VNCViewer ? or you export your output to something?

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>] On Behalf Of David Ramírez Reyes Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:50 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>' (oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>) <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: Start DBCA on RHEL 5

Hello all,

Oracle DB 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 5.2; I want to start DBCA on the server, but when I execute the command "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbca" nothing happens, any idea?

This is what the log says:

[Thread-3] [ 2016-04-21 14:23:38.269 CDT ] [DbcaCleanupHook.run:44] Cleanup started
[Thread-3] [ 2016-04-21 14:23:38.276 CDT ] [OracleHome.cleanupDBOptionsIntance:1482] DB Options dummy instance sid=null
[Thread-3] [ 2016-04-21 14:23:38.277 CDT ] [DbcaCleanupHook.run:49] Cleanup ended

Regards

David Ramírez Reyes
Profesión: Padre de Familia

Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**

image001.jpg