RE: OraSupported Oracle version on RHEL 7.1

From: Mandal, Ashoke <ashoke.k.mandal_at_medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 21:27:48 +0000

Hi Hans,

Sorry for the confusion.
I have multiple production Oracle 11.2.0.3 databases on Solaris 10. We need to migrate these to Linux RHEL and was trying to find out what latest version of RHEL can be used to host Oracle 11.2.0.3 databases. Once we migrate to Linux then we would plan to upgrade these databses to Oracle 12C. I couldn’t find any matrix for Oracle 11.2.0.3 and RHEL and checking anyone has some information regarding this.

Thanks,
Ashoke

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Hans Forbrich Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 4:14 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: OraSupported Oracle version on RHEL 7.1

Please define 'Certified'.

From Oracle's online "Oracle Software Technical Support Policies" at http://www.oracle.com/us/support/policies/index.html we read (page 10 of PDF)

"Extended Support
Extended Support may be available for certain Oracle program releases after Premier Support expires. When Extended Support is offered, it is generally available for three years following the expiration of Premier Support and only for the terminal patchset release of a program."

Note the last sentence, regarding 'terminal patchset', which is 11.2.0.4 for Linux.

And from "Lifetime Support Policy: Oracle Technical Products" at http://www.oracle.com/us/support/lifetime-support/index.html we see that 11.2 is in Extended Support.

I personally conclude that 11.2.0.3 is no longer supported, and therefore certification on newer OS is unlikely. You may have a different interpretation, in which case you may wish to discuss with your Oracle Support rep.

/Hans

On 21/04/2016 11:51 AM, Mandal, Ashoke wrote: Greetings,

Any idea if Oracle 11.2.0.3 is certified on RHEL 7? I have seen some Oracle note about RHEL 7 supporting Oracle 11.2.0.4 but couldn’t find anything on Oracle 11.2.0.3.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ashoke
[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE] Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your records. To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link or manually copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser: http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com