RE: Oracle GI patching

From: Robert Freeman <rfreeman_at_businessolver.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 21:27:55 +0000

Absolutely you can do the same thing with the Grid Infrastructure. The high level steps are as follows:
  1. Lay down the 11.2.0.4 GI patch set (Number 3 of the 7 file patchset) using the OUI. Select the install software only option. As I recall, when using this option you need to install the software on each node of the cluster if you are not using a shared OH - the OUI does not copy it across for you like it would for an install/configure operation... So, you just repeat this process on each node.
  2. Then, download and install the most current version of OPatch and install it in your new 11.2.0.4 GH directory.
  3. Now, get the latest PSU, unzip it and use OPatch to apply it to the GH directory. You will need to run opatch napply three times. One for the OCW patch, one for the ACFS patch and one for the DB patch. Something like this:

$GRID_HOME/OPatch/opatch napply -oh $GRID_HOME -local $PATCH_LOCATION/$PATCH_BASE_NUMBER/$PATCH_OCW_NUMBER

4. Then, when you are ready to actually upgrade the cluster, you will run config.sh from the new GRID_HOME. It will upgrade each node of the cluster, one node at a time - so a rolling upgrade.

There are a mass of documents that you can use to kind of piece all of this together. Some of them include:

  1. The readme documents for the 11.2.0.4 base and the quarterly patch.
  2. How to Configure or Re-configure Grid Infrastructure With config.sh/config.bat (Doc ID 1354258.1)
  3. Section F7 of the GI Install guide
  4. Oracle Grid Infrastructure 11.2.0.4.x Patch Set Update SUPPLEMENTAL README (Doc ID 1641136.1) - This is a really important one I think - it addresses various install situations, including the one you describe.

Hope that helps....

RF

Lay down the 11.2.0.4 base patch (it's a full install) using the install software only option of the OUI.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Upendra nerilla Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:23 PM
To: Oracle-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Oracle GI patching

Hello everyone -
We are running OEL-6, Grid Infrastructure 11g, Oracle 11g. We are upgrading from 11.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.4 on both GI and Database versions. It is out of place upgrade. I am trying to minimize the total downtime during the upgrade process.

From the database perspective, here is what we are doing to upgrade:
* Install the binaries ahead of the time

  • At the time of the maintenance, switch to new Oracle home and complete running catupgrade scripts

Is there a similar option for Grid Infrastructure? Could anyone point me to any documents or share their notes.. Are there any pitfalls or risks?

Thanks much in advance

-Upendra