RE: CPU Wait troubleshoot

From: Osborne, Chris <Chris.Osborne_at_sky.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:29:42 +0000

My understanding of the RWP recommendation is that max session should be between 1 and 10 times the number of cores, depending on the percentage time spent on IO versus CPU for your app.

On a 32 Core system, 320 sessions max, if they are IO intensive. However, if each session is roughly 50/50 on IO versus CPU, you'll probably want a smaller number than 320. As always, testing is your friend.

On the rare occasions when we get in early and have time for full testing, I like to have each app server with a connection pool set very low, and then test for performance versus requirement, and then only go up the way if we don't meet the requirements.

Christopher Osborne